With SAP, we lead the technological innovation for your company and that is why we want to introduce you to the new German giant's door to meet the business needs in an efficient and interconnected way.
The SAP HANA platform ( H igh-performance AN alytic A ppliance ) was officially launched in 2010, and almost immediately the entire SAP Business Suite was available to be installed on SAP HANA, launching as “ Suite on HANA”. The "S" is the first letter of "Simple", the number 4 refers to the fourth generation of ERP and HANA is a reference to the SAP HANA platform.
Benefits of S / 4HANA
The benefits and their extension are different for each company and vary depending on factors such as the market, the maturity of the processes and human capital. The benefits can be classified into 6 large groups:
- Agility in business decisions
The combination of online transaction processing ( OLTP ) and analytical processing ( OLAP ) provided by the HANA platform enables you to obtain any information in real time. With this, planning, execution, forecasting and simulation can be done immediately.
- Business processes
Several previously existing business processes in ECC ( ERP Central Component) were radically simplified in S / 4HANA, which opens up space for employees to concentrate on essential tasks and identify process improvements.
- New business models
With the use of the SAP HANA platform, concepts such as Internet of Things and Big Data are now accessible to any company. Connecting people, devices and business networks in real time, and adding more value to customers will be much easier.
- User experience was improved
SAP HANA was natively projected with the user interface fully built with SAP Fiori, which allows a simple, flexible and personalized user experience, in all system functions available on various devices.
- Data models and system infrastructure (IT)
Reduction of impact of data volume and its associated IT costs. With the new design of the S / 4HANA data model, a radical simplification was made in the data structures, resulting in the elimination of redundancies, duplicate data, reference tables and indexes.
- System implementation options (IT)
S / 4 HANA offers the flexibility to be implemented in Cloud, on-Premise and in a hybrid model - the one that best suits the business needs.
The IT dilemma
The biggest challenge in the IT area today is to justify and reduce the investment needed to meet the need for a continuously growing business using obsolete platforms and technologies. The volume of transactions and data grows exponentially and the pressure for decision making in real time, with reliable information increases the complexity of the problem. All these factors point to the need for a platform and solution that brings the following benefits:
- Ability to rapidly expand the IT infrastructure to meet the growing need of the business;
- Performance to execute increasingly complex business processes
- Real-time information for decision making;
- Availability of systems and information guaranteeing business stability and continuity
- TCO reduction, optimizing investments that guarantee a return in the shortest possible time
S / 4HANA brings efficiency, productivity, agility, security and compliance gains , in addition to bringing all the benefits listed above.
Finally, why do I need to migrate?
The most direct and least pleasing answer is simple: from SAP it has been announced that it will support ECC 6.0 until the end of 2025. As we approach the final date, we will experience a “boom” of projects, that implies a shortage of professionals and higher costs, depending on the relationship between supply and demand.
What are the main challenges?
There are 3 possible transition scenarios for S / 4 HANA, detailed as follows:
- System conversion - points of attention
* Industry Solution, add-ons and business functions in use
* Analyze the current installation on the optimal document "Simplification List"
* Evaluation of the "custom code" - unused codes, necessary adjustments for S / 4 HANA
* Evaluation of integrations with other SAP / non-SAP solutions in use.
- New implementation - points of attention
* Main directors focused on reengineering and process simplification
* Current system with high volume of " custom code"
* Current version of the ERP and / or technical prerequisites do not allow system conversion
- Landscape Transformation - points of attention
* Value based migration (ROI / TCI)
* Agility - migration can be done in waves
* TCO reduction with systems consolidation and process simplification
In addition to these specific points for each of the transition scenarios, there are considerations that apply to all:
- Unicode : it is mandatory in S / 4HANA and a technical impediment to conversion, that is, if your system is not Unicode , conversion is no longer an option;
- Custom Code or client code : eliminate unused codes, adapt the codes that will still be used, to reflect alterations in the data dictionary and guarantee not only usability plus code performance on the new HANA platform;
- Data migration : several groups of tables were simplified and although automated data migration tools are available, it is a point of attention that cannot be underestimated either in the conversion scenario or in a new implementation;
- Evaluation of the new functionalities : it is not uncommon for us to find developments that were made in previous versions of SAP ERP and that in S / 4 became standard processes . For that, it becomes necessary not only the technical evaluation of the developments, but also the evaluation on the business optics.